Sunday, March 7, 2010

How to Live a Long Life


I was listening to NPR this morning on the way to fetch a breakfast that I knew wasn't good for me. I was out of nutritious cereal and drove quickly so the Universe wouldn't spot me on the way to nutritional armageddon and strike me down.

The radio was running one of those stories that give you a list of things that will make you live longer.

Number one was clean water. I've got brown water at my place, but it's organically brown. (Iron-eating bacteria.) Still, I suppose it's time to make yet another effort to find a plumber who will show me how to chlorinate my well. All I need is someone to show it to me once and I can handle it from there.

Number two was exercise. Movement. Get out there and show Life that you're actually alive.

I must remember to do that now and then.

Then came the bit about fresh fruits and veggies, with the occasional healthy smoothie thrown in. The other night Alton Brown gave a recipe for the smoothie he chooses to sip on throughout his mornings. It sounds doable and viewer reviews reported that it's excellent. I'll give it a try.

Mentioned on the list but for some reason not emphasized, was something that surprised me: Do things you like to do.

I'm always running on a list of things I HAVE to do, which often are things I have to get out of the way before I can do what I want to do, things that I've managed to make into businesses where people expect me to do them. Which takes a little bit of the fun out of it all.

So right here and now (while I'm digesting that bacon and sugary apple thing from breakfast) I'm going to improve my life. More water (and I'll try to clean it a little better than just running it through a filter that's on its last legs), lots more fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, a whole lot more movement (especially out in the yard, which is still a wreck) with an attempt to find some kind of pseudo-exercise that is enjoyable...

Speaking of enjoyable, I'll do stuff that I get a kick out of doing, like art for art's sake, writing for art's sake (oh, okay. With serious attempt to sell finished stuff), comics, travel, and petting the cats.

Someone please tell me it's not too late to start!

No comments: